Tuesday, July 25, 2006

#19: bowie baysox

Those who know me well might find this disquieting. Why is baseball desecrating my sacred football blog? Worry not, my allegiance to the beautiful game remains unflinching and resolute. I am just expanding my horizons. Nine years in this country; it's embarrassing that I don't know who or what a short-stop is.

To a game of the Bowie Baysox I was invited. It's an affiliate team for the Baltimore Orioles – where players on the fringe of the MLB team keep their sharpness and try to force their way up, and those who have lost it come to regain theirs. In England this would be a reserve team. But here they are an establishment and play in a regular league of similar affiliates all through the season. A very neat arrangement.

For the fans, it's a lot more accessible option to indulge in "America's pastime" and have a good time. It's a hidden treasure lurking in the shadows of MLB fanfare and spotlight (aka hoopla). As Sean put it, "There is hot-dog, beer, frisbee contest, friends chatting and soaking up the fine evening weather, fireworks after every game .... and oh, there's a game going on too." The Baysox lost 8-2, but not many people there seemed to be overly concerned. They were more eager to grab a fly-ball, jig about at the 7th inning break, and watch the fireworks at the end. I suppose so was I.

Oh, and I overheard the obligatory pot-shot at cricket from the bleachers across the aisle.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home