Monday, July 10, 2006

#13: kal-el is back

Superman has returned to the big screen – with vastly superior visual effects, a water repellent lycra suit, and a molten magma resistant hair gel (for his curly tuft of hair).

The plot-line is weak. But then who goes to such movies (include James Bond and MI) for cerebral stimulation anyway. Someone sitting behind me began snoring 15 minutes into the movie!! Mr. Someone wasn't impressed.

The reincarnation of Clark Kent looks remarkably like a high-school adolescent Christopher Reeve who hadn't yet needed a shave. It creates a visual dissonance. Lois Lane has clearly aged, while Superman in his 5 years hiatus has perhaps lost age. Space travel to Krypton and back at the speed of light can have this effect .... Einstein postulated just as much in his theory of relativity.

But these pot-shots aside, the movie is entertaining. After the rigours of a week when not much made sense anyway, I went into the theatre knowing that I shouldn't try to connect the dots in the narrative. And I wasn't disappointed. Plus I have seen a lot worse on in-flight entertainment (my primary avenue of movie viewing).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home